4.19.2011

Beginner Mind | Florida Photography

My boyfriend is also my assistant.  When I'm photographing a wedding or doing a portrait shoot, he is always there to support me and ensure I have whatever I need, whether it's a lens, a piece of lighting equipment or some water.  I usually don't even have to ask - he's on it before the words come out.  THAT is a fantastic thing.  I couldn't do what I do without him.


We were talking about a recent wedding and how it all went, and I mentioned that I always get compliments on what a great guy he is.  People always make a point of telling me that they enjoyed meeting him and that he is very friendly and polite.  Frequently the ladies will add in 'and he's cute too!'  Trust me, I know. ;)  As we were talking more about his role as my assistant, it came out that he was interested in shooting, too.


I think that Bo with a camera is a fantastic idea.  True, he has no experience operating an SLR.  True, he is not at all familiar with such things as ISO and f-stop.  But I know that he has an eye, I know that he has a distinct stylistic sense.  I can't wait to see what he comes up with.


This past weekend we started working on some of the basics of photography.  It's amazing all the small things that you don't even realize you know until you have to explain them.  It was refreshing to start from the beginning.  It inspired me to go out and shoot with a beginner's mind... in a way that I haven't done in a while.  When I first got my camera, I would shoot whatever I could on my walk home from work.  I almost never do that anymore.  Yesterday I went out with Beginner Mind and shot whatever caught my attention.  Maybe some shots aren't perfect, but that's ok.  That wasn't the point.


The first few images are some of the first ever created by Bo with an SLR.  The rest are the first I've created with Beginner Mind in two and a half years.











.





No comments:

Post a Comment